Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Working Stiff

Today marked my second week of working a real job. I have been both excited and terrified of this point in my life for years now and I'm happy to report that its going to be OK. I'm still a bit in shock that I managed to find a company like this and managed to get hired. Electroimpact is completely lacking in any kind of training and they really throw you into the mix as soon as you walk in the door. I've compared hiring and early experiences with quite a few other engineers there and they all coincide, almost perfectly.

I've been assigned to a project team that is building a "small" 6-axis riveting machine. Small is everyone else's word. I call it large considering its yoke is about 12 feet tall and has a 5 foot throat. Picture a gigantic horseshoe. I've been assigned to design and make a prototype section of steel and carbon fiber paneling and then test it to failure. And adapt the A and B axis actuators from another machine. And design the test jig for when we initially build and test the machine in our facility before delivery. I'm making progress on all fronts and learning a ton as I go and ask questions of the more experienced guys.

The work environment is great too. There's no dress code at all. I'm given an almost scary amount of autonomy and I can come and go at will.

Here's a few pics from the neighborhood.

Dicky's house where I'm renting.



Yikes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice car in the drive way!!!;)