Sunday, October 7, 2007

walk score

I found this nifty little widget that calculates how good your neighborhood is for walking based upon how close certain necessities are. Current location.....20 out of 100. Pretty poor, but very accurate. Sidewalks are almost completely unknown in this part of town too. So are shoulders for that matter.

You can get your score here...




I'm looking to move to a more permanent location pretty soon anyway, so I've been using this to see whats around my perspective locations. Now I'm looking at neighborhoods in the low to high 80's. The one irritating thing about this is, that these neighborhoods are 3 times further to work and driving is absolutely mandatory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that walk score is cool, but nowadays more and more people prefer to drive cars. Homes are often located in an area where some establishments are easier to get to by car than on foot. I've recently found a type of service on Fizber which is called Drive Score. It shows a map of what establishments are in your neighborhood and calculates a Drive Score based on the number of places within a convenient driving distance.

Просто мысли said...

I really liked this! I spend almost 4 hours checking drivescore for addresses of all my friend and relatives. Mine is not the worst at http://drivescore.fizber.com/
Thanks for the link!